If you get melted chocolate all over your hands, you're eating it too slowly. ~Author Unknown

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Caramelized Brussel Sprouts

For those who fear the brussel sprout, fear not. This recipe is AMAZING whether you are a fan of the cute little mini cabbage or you loathe them. A reason to love these little cuties? They are packed with antioxidants and help lower your cholesterol! 

I can relate to you if you have decided you don't like them and are hesitant to try them in any recipe, even a recipe as promising as this. A while back, I use to add cilantro to my "dislike list", I finally bought the stuff and prepared something myself using it, and realized it made the dish. Now, I wouldn't go as far as exchanging my salad greens for it or nothing, but I am proud to say it is removed from my "dislike list" and now gets a fair trial when it comes to cooking!-- Brussel sprouts was never on my list, but it wasn't something I was ever thrilled about either...until now! This side dish takes you on  a little flavor journey with toasted walnuts, tart cranberries, sweet coconut, a little spice, and a hint of maple! I promise you, this recipe is worth the try, just try it, you will be pleasantly surprised!

Caramelized Brussel Sprouts
  Adapted by The Diva Dish

1-1/2 C chopped walnuts
1 tbsp pure maple syrup

20 medium brussel sprouts, trimmed & sliced
1 tsp coconut oil
1 large shallot, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced (or about 2 tsp)
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
 salt and fresh pepper, to taste
pinch nutmeg 
1/3 C Craisins/dried cranberries
1-1/2 tbsp sweetened coconut
 

Preheat broiler to low. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, toss chopped walnuts with 1 tbsp maple syrup. Spread mixture over baking sheet, and broil for about 3 min or until fragrant. Remove from oven, set aside.


In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat coconut oil with shallots. Saute shallots until translucent, add garlic, stir frequently so garlic won't burn. Add brussel sprouts, remaining 3 tbsp syrup, and seasonings. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add coconut and cranberries. Fold walnuts in, heat about 2 minutes more or until heated through.



No comments:

Post a Comment